An Experiment…

By Posted in - On Writing & Social Media for Writers on June 21st, 2010 8 Comments

Have any of you tried blogging or tweeting on behalf of one of your characters? I’ve started writing a Tumblr for Rowena, my protagonist’s love interest, who lives in a place that can access (and be accessed by) all times in history. It’s a fun way to warm up for a day’s writing!

BEING THE FICTIONAL DIARY OF ROWENA ST CLAIR, COLLEGE SCOUT AT THE INFINITE UNIVERSITY (from my current work-in-progress, A WARNING TO THE CURIOUS).

“A good college scout should be both invisible and silent, much like a good spy.” — Professor Mim, The Infinite University

(8) awesome folk have had something to say...

• Rachna Chhabria - Reply

June 22, 2010 at 1:35 am

Hi Lia…this is a wonderful idea! Makes us want to know more about Rowena’s life.

• Rebecca - Reply

June 22, 2010 at 7:09 am

I’ve tried blogs before, but what I’ve really found helps is some sort of writing-based RPG. There are tons out there where you can add any character from anything you like, and then you can get a real feel for how a character responds to all sorts of things, because you aren’t the one setting the stage all the time. Plus, it’s a lot of fun 😀

• Lia Keyes - Reply

June 23, 2010 at 10:38 am

Rebecca, that’s such a great idea! My son uses that technique, too. He created a jaded tough guy ex-soldier character using Dragon Age. Which RPGs do you like to use?

• Rebecca - Reply

June 23, 2010 at 10:59 am

All the ones I used to be in have closed now, unfortunately. But I know that there are still plenty out there, on LiveJournal especially. Now I just throw all of my characters from my different WIPs into the “cafe” inside my head and let them meet each other and talk. I listen in to find out about them 😉

In fact, I was thinking since this post of maybe asking if we could have an In-Character area in Scribblerati – where you have to post in character.

• Lia Keyes - Reply

June 24, 2010 at 2:39 am

WHAT a great idea! Let’s do it! Do you think it should be a blog post? Or just a comment on a particular topic that all our characters weigh in on?

• Rebecca - Reply

June 24, 2010 at 4:37 am

I’m not sure how it should be done, because I’m still not that well-versed in how ning works. But maybe a group where characters can weigh in on a topic. Hmmmmmm…..

• Susan - Reply

June 27, 2010 at 4:42 am

Your readers are going to love Rowena’s blog when the book comes out. What a great idea and a powerful tool to build interest in the book. I also love the idea for a characters’ blog on Scribblerati. I just did a workshop with Kathleen Duey and she suggested interviewing your characters. This takes it one step further.

• Karen Langford - Reply

June 27, 2010 at 10:08 am

Hi Lia, very interested in how this pans out for you. Best!